Sunday, February 7, 2016

It was very interesting reading articles and watching the videos on sound and acoustic ecology. It makes you really appreciate sound, from the very loud noises to the quiet, faint noises. I liked the end of the video "Listen" when he asked, "what happens when my voice stops? What do you hear then?" The silence was nice and almost therapeutic. I wish I wasn't in the library when I watched it so I then the silence could have had more impact of an impact.

When I started reading the “Opening Our Ears to Acoustic Ecology” article, I immediately started to think about people that are deaf or have hearing impairments. In the first sentence, the author claims “sounds bring the world alive.” So is the world not alive for some one that is deaf? I know this is an irrelevant argument, but I found it interesting to say such an assuring statement without considering the other perspective. I agree that sound helps a setting. It’s almost like the icing on a cake for a beautiful scene or setting. This article, in a way, ties in perfectly with the “Listen” video. Just like what the author talked about in the first paragraph, I picture myself standing on top of a mountain over looking hundreds of miles of rolling hills and the thing that brings that whole scene together is the sound. To escape all the noises in a city, or regular life, is a great thing that isn’t appreciated that much. 

No comments:

Post a Comment